At the writing of this article, these things are in the news:
- the US is experiencing an unprecedented heat wave
- the ‘Avengers: Endgame’ passes ‘Avatar’ to become biggest movie ever
- it’s 50 years since Apollo 11 landed on the moon
- it’s National Ice Cream Day
- Marvel announces at San Diego Comic-Con, its Phase 4 projects including the vampire hunter, Blade, to be played by two-time Oscar winner, Mahershala Ali.
“Newsjacking…”, in the words of David Meerman Scott (who wrote a book with the same name) “… is the art and science of injecting your ideas into a breaking news story so you and your ideas get noticed.”
So, what this means is, that by using trending, searchable terms (now easier with hashtags) such as #nationalicecreamday, or #heatwave, more people are likely to see your marketing and take notice of your business.
Another benefit of utilizing newsjacking techniques is that it can be a timely way of creating a little fun with your marketing.
Note: I would recommend staying away from polarizing topics such as politics and religion.
For a little more on newsjacking, check out The Art of Newsjacking (And Its SEO Benefits) by Ramona Sukhraj